About this Program
- College: Liberal Arts and Sciences
- Credits: 15 | Completed with minimum grades of C
- Contact: 427 Grinter Hall | 352.392.2183
- More Info
As a National Resource Center for African Studies, the mission of the center is to promote excellence in teaching and research on Africa in all the disciplines at the University of Florida. The Center for African Studies also disseminates knowledge about Africa to the wider community through an integrated outreach program to schools, colleges, community groups, and businesses.
Email | 352.392.2183 (tel) | 352.392.2435 (fax)
PO Box 115560
427 GRINTER HALL
GAINESVILLE FL 32611-5560
Choose to complete a general concentration or select a track:
- Track One: Languages and Linguistics
- Track Two: Arts and Literatures
- Track Three: Culture, History, and Politics
- Track Four: Environment, Resources, and Development
The Center for African Studies offers semester and academic-year programs at the University of Dar es Salaam (Tanzania) and Makerere University (Uganda), as well as various summer programs.
The list of approved Africa-related electives can be found on the Center for African Studies website.
Requirements | General Concentration
- Students seeking to apply UF study abroad credit toward the minor must complete one three-credit minor course in residence at UF.
- Transfer students must complete at least two three-credit minor courses in residence at UF.
- No more than three credits of 4905 coursework (Individual Work) can be used toward the minor and none of the credits can apply to the 3000-level or above elective requirement.
- Students must complete a minimum of six credits exclusive to the minor that cannot count toward the major(s) or other minors.
|Africa in World History|
|The African Experience: An Introduction to African Studies|
|African studies approved elective (2000-level or above)||3|
|African studies approved electives (3000-level or above)||9|